The proper role of a unit of educology (i.e. a faculty, school, college, department or division of educology) is to provide a favorable and supportive environment in which
(1) educologists may conduct research about the educational process and extend educology,
(2) teachers of educology may successfully guide their students in extending their range of educological knowing and understanding,
(3) users of educology may consult with educologists about ways and means of resolving issues and meeting challenges in the educational process,
(4) meta-educologists may conduct research about discourse about the educational process and extend meta-educology,
(5) teachers of meta-educology may successfully guide their students in extending their range of meta-educological knowing and understanding and
(6) users of meta-educology may use their meta-educological understanding as educologists in the conduct of their educological research.
The guided study of educology is appropriate for those who wish to use educology in the role of teacher, administrator, counselor, tutor, mentor, curriculum developer, educational resource publisher, tests and measurement expert, legislator, decision maker of a funding organization and the like. Educology, i.e. knowledge about education, provides the basis for conducting well informed, intelligent and effective action for and within the educational process.
The guided study of meta-educology is appropriate for those who wish to take on the role of educologist, teacher of educology, meta-educologist and teacher of meta-educology. Meta-educology, i.e. knowledge about knowledge about education, provides the basis for conducting and evaluating disciplined research about education.